Today is about getting down to the nitty gritty on skin care. It has been a long battle with my skin and I’m just now starting to figure it out. It’s an issue that I feel we don’t spend enough time educating or […]
This past week here in New York definitely determined that summer is here. Scorching hot days — where the minute you step outside you begin to melt — are upon us. My first few summers here in the city I somehow managed to survive without an AC unit. Honestly I don’t know how I did it. Last summer I gave in and finally got an AC unit and now I’m kicking myself I didn’t do it sooner. You live and learn I guess. Unfortunately I’m not a wizard (beginning to think my letter to Hogwarts got lost) and I can’t travel around the city with my own personal AC unit so what I wear is key to staying cool. I won’t deny that I get hot very easily and at times it seems like no matter what I wear I am still uncomfortable. Outfit combo that seems to work best for me is a denim skirt with a loose off the shoulder top. It helps prevent me from looking like a sloppy mess while managing to keep my body cool for the most part. The rest of the summer I will definitely be sporting different variations of this ensemble in hopes of surviving another hot New York summer.
All my fellow New Yorkers/Brooklynites if you are around this weekend here are a few things that are going on locally that you may find yours truly at!
- Venture on out to Coney Island and participate in the Annual Mermaid Parade, all details here for you.
- Get your Art and Culture on at Arts in Bushwick Community Day. Details here. Event will be held at House of Yes from 12:00 PM – 6:00 PM.
- Live performance at Brooklyn Bazaar by A–WA. Details here for you. Tickets are only $20 via ticketfly.
- Pride month is upon us and New York knows it! Show your love and support by going to Baby’s Big Disco at Baby’s All Right Saturday night! Details here for all my rainbow lovers, (which should be all of us 😉 ).
- Holla at my Dead Heads. Get out to Lovecraft Bar in NYC for the Grateful Dead Summer Celebration. All details you need here.
- Enjoy live music and cheap beer? Skinny Dennis has got you covered! Enjoy Demolition String Band Saturday night at 10pm. Details here.
- Renegade Craft Fair at Brooklyn Expo Center. All details you need you can find here. This fair has some amazing vendors lined up and should be an amazing Sunday afternoon adventure.
- All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. No better way to enjoy a Sunday Funday than at Videology Bar & Cinema watching the epicness that is The Shining while drinking some Jack Daniels. Get all the details here.
- In between events check out Brooklyn Bavarian Biergarten that has reopened for the season today! (Friday 6/16 at 4:00 PM)
- Finish off your Sunday with a dabble in the dark arts at Pioneer Works. They are having a Brooklyn Poets Anthology Reading, all details can be found here.
One of the many things I love about New York is that it is literally a jungle. A concrete jungle but there is always something or somewhere to explore. Having this theme seemed only fitting with this dress from the Milly collection at Banana Republic. Whenever I’m walking around the city or Central Park I sometimes feel like I am on a safari.
My handsome companion Ajax is my protector when I’m on these ‘safaris’. You never know when you might run into “lion”. My safari idea though stemmed from my favorite blogger and fashion enthusiast Sarah Vickers. I completely loved her post with the same dress. “Great minds think alike.”
This adorable dress is available at Banana Republic and is currently on SALE! This dress is versatile for so many occasions. First off it’s a perfect dress for the work place, especially in the summer. It is also ideal for a cocktail party, maybe a wedding, or a Sunday brunch with the girlfriends. I’m also obsessed with the pattern of the dress and how it just vibrantly pops out.
I wore my favorite necklace from J.Crew. I know I’ve said that about numerous jewelry items but this really is my absolute favorite. I wear it almost everyday to give all my outfits a little glamour. This necklace, in my opinion, is worth the investment. I promise you wont regret it!
The wedges I chose to wear with my outfit are the perfect summer wedge. I found these lovelies at the J.Crew Sample Sale earlier this summer. The neutral color of the wedge makes my legs look longer and gives off the illusion that I’m taller. That’s always a plus for me with my height.
My little man was such a sport during the shoot. Everyone says a dog is a man’s best friend but in my opinion a dog is a girl’s best friend. I seriously don’t know what I would do with Ajax. He always cheers me up and puts a smile on my face.
“Whoever said diamonds are a girl’s best friend clearly didn’t own a dog.”–Unkown